Tuesday 28 April 2015

You want us to buy what?

At the end of last week Valve released what many deemed unmoral, paid mods. Now if you don't know what mods are, they are basically community made modifications for games, commonly found on PC games. They range from unofficial fixes to DLC sized quests.


I get why companies make DLC, its to expand the game and to keep people interested in the game. The modding community in some games is also strong, say Skyrim where there are 100s of mods being made monthly even though the game is 3 years old now. So when Valve added the pay for mod feature, the PC community almost rioted.

I and many others could understand if Valve had implemented a donation service instead of an upright "you must pay to get this mod" system and like many others we think that if a mod is good enough, the creator should get some money for it. The other unethical part about this was that Valve and the creator of the base game were taking a 75% even split (not 7.5%) of the money from sales and leaving the the mod creator, who had put in all the hard work, with a mere 25% of the sales.

In my opinion that is just wrong.... I could understand if it was 5% for Valve and 5% for the creators but any more and that's just a big no-no. Anyway, as of today Valve have removed the paid for system and are going to/ have already implemented a donation system.

This week I have two songs of the week as I couldn't decide which one I should put on. The first one is 'Speedom (WWC2)' released by 'Tech N9ne'. This one came out last week and I love it as it features 2 of my favourite rappers. The second song is 'Wrong Side of Heaven' by 'Five Finger Death Punch'. Till next week everyone.



No comments:

Post a Comment