Monday 18 May 2015

Let me all up in your sandbox.

I really couldn't think of a good title this week... So I am just going to put it bluntly, this month's Top 5 is about my top 5 sandbox games.


Grand Theft Auto V is at number 5. I loved it when I played it on my X360, and one of the reasons I got my PC was to play GTA V, but slowly I lost interest when they kept delaying it to the point I'd rather get my X360 out and go play some Red Dead Redemption. I enjoyed the world but I didn't engage with the characters and they expected you to connect with Micheal or Franklin, but I didn't. They felt too stereotypical for me to enjoy.

Speaking of which, at number 4, Red Dead Redemption. This is probably my favourite Rockstar game to date. It was an unusual setting, we rarely see games set in the Western times which gave it a fresh feeling from the overused WW2 and Modern settings that were popular at the time. Its a shame that no PC port came as I loved playing with my old buddies on the 360. I would always ride around on my horse and take in the landscape. If there is one game that deserves a HD re-release for XO, PS4 and PC it has to be this game.

At number 3 we see Skyrim.... I lie. At number 3 we see my favourite Elder Scrolls game and probably a lot of people's Elder Scrolls game, Oblivion. The reason I prefer Oblivion over Skyrim is that, sure Skyrim was expansive but I didn't feel that the landscape was that detailed. It was bland. However Oblivion's landscape was much more detailed, varied. Sure the combat wasn't as crisp (unless you installed mods) but it felt rewarding starting a quest as there was no quest markers to follow and you actually had to figure out where to go to find things. You were not treated like a baby, which is what I liked.

Number 2 sees a game I talk about quite a bit. DayZ, specifically DayZ Standalone. Its a weird game to include. The world often features you dying to Bandits or Zombies but that's what I love. I love the adrenaline from a firefight, I love the challenge of avoiding zombies, I love the thrill of almost dying of starvation to find a can of peaches (which is the best food in the game). Its a joy to play with friends, even if you have to run 30 mins - 2 hours to find them. I love it when people actually roleplay and not just shoot you on sight.

I am going to make a few honourable mentions, I considered Dark Souls, Garry's Mod, Borderlands 2, Metal Gear Solid 3, Middle of Earth: Shadow of Mordor and Resident Evil 1 HD Re-remastered.

But there can only be one top sandbox game in my opinion. Its another game published by Bethesda. It is Fallout: New Vegas. I had a hard choice between Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas, but I thought I would put New Vegas as, although many claimed it was a spin off or a DLC with DLC, it improved greatly on Fallout 3 with the Hardcore mode and the factions feature. The only thing that Fallout 3 has over Fallout: New Vegas is that Fallout 3 had Liam Neeson in it.

This weeks song is House of the Rising Sun by Five Finger Death Punch. The music video give off a Fallout vibe, which is one of the things I like and I could imagine it would be a good driving song. It has a techno intro which most people don't like so if you want to skip that go to 1:42. Anyway that's all for this time, have a nice week and until next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment