Sunday 18 January 2015

Music to my ears

There are 3 things that can make or break a game for me. Gameplay, Graphics and its Sound Track.

"Why does a ST (Sound Track) make a game for you?" I hear you ask. Music makes the game more enjoyable for me and if done well, gives off a sense of epicness. Sure, Gameplay is the most important aspect of a game and Graphics do help a game, but a game should also have a good ST.

Take the 'Suicide Mission' track from the last mission of Mass Effect 2. It made you feel like it was the last mission, but it also made you feel like this mission was a make or break mission. It made you think about who would fit into what role, and that one wrong person in one wrong role could result in death.
     What about the classic Battlefield theme? It is the trade mark of the franchise. Almost any gamer could tell you what game the theme was from. It gives a sense of pride and honour. It made you feel patriotic. It made you feel like this is your time to shine.

Now I am going to list my top five STs of all time, here we go:

At #5, I have to put 'Suicide Mission' here because in my opinion Mass Effect 2 was the best, because it made me feel like I had to make the right decision or face losing some of my comrades, which would have impacted ME3's story (rip Grunt).
     #4 sees the Halo 3 theme sliding in. Halo 3 was the first Halo game I played (started out playing on Playstation consoles and when it came to getting a PS3 or a X360 I went for the latter). Oh how I regret not being able to play Halo 1 and Halo 2 on the original Xbox. Anyway the Halo 3 theme places here because it is epic but it has tough competition and you'll see why.







#3 is a newer theme song. 'Sins of the Father' is the newest Metal Gear Solid theme. It starts off slow and orchestral. It then starts to build up, then dies down for a bit. Then building back up with female vocals and a piano. Then boom, the whole orchestra is back, the sense of epic all around you. It then goes upbeat with the female lyrics kicking in. It is just getting my hyped for MGS V: The Phantom Pain. This would have placed higher, had it not been for the tiny section where the female vocals go a bit robotic, that really put me off.
     #2, ITS PAYDAY FELLAS! Thats what this song makes me think. In Payday 2, one of my all time favourite games, the #FreeHoxton trailer featured a small snippet of a song called 'This is our Time'. It isn't like all the songs on this list. It is a rock type song, like one you would hear in a bar. It wasn't created for Payday 2 but it is so good I had to include it. All of Payday 2's songs are good but there is one song that beats them all.

     Its #1. You may have guessed what it is by now. It is obviously the original Metal Gear Solid sound track. It would be mad to not include this in the top 5, but it is in my opinion the best theme to any game. It fits with almost any game. Plus, it is probably the most recognisable theme on this list.


Anyway, thats my list. From now on each week I am going to be also mentioning my song of the week (the song I've listened to the most this week). This weeks song is Nuclear, from the MGS V 'Nuclear' Trailer. It also got my hyped for the new MGS game.

So, what's everyone's favourite game sound track? Disagree with me or agree with me? Leave a comment down below.


1 comment:

  1. Shrikel that was an awesome blog. I haven't heard the original Metal Gear solid track in so long, lol. You took me WAY back dude. :) The addition of the music was a VERY nice touch. Keep it up sir. Each of your blogs will be featured on the XclusiveGamers wall every week, TY for your work my friend.

    ReplyDelete